Friday, September 11, 2009

Why I Run....

As stated in my first post, I run because of my hero, my brother Casey. It was eight years ago this day that our world changed...for better or for worse. Casey signed on into the Corps shortly after 9/11/01, and before we knew it he was shipping out for the initial invasion into Iraq...and before we knew it we were bringing him home, broken, from Iraq.

9/11 is not a good day for our family. It's not a good day for alot of families.

I wake up every morning to the towers falling. The reality of what we lost stares me in the face the moment my eyes open every day with my brother's legs gone. The reality of what the cost of freedom is, is there every moment, every waking breath I take.

Every day that I lace up my running shoes, I am lacing them up for my brother. He will never lace up another pair of shoes onto his feet again....let that sink in.....really sink in....never, EVER again. Every step I take, every mile I run, I draw upon my brother's strength.

I have NO EXCUSE to not use my legs. If my brother can keep on keepin' on, if he can hand-crank a marathon, what's my reason not to run? I hope that when I run I can bring awareness to the world the struggles of our heroes, and a reminder that there is STILL A WAR ON TERROR---yes, that is what it is, and I don't give a damn if that's PC or not thank you very much White House...

So today is a tough day for all of us in our house...remember to thank your heroes for their service, and remember that all gave some and some gave all for you and I to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave......

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your brother and your love for him!

    I wish you all the best for your running!

    If you have a moment, stop by the Lounge and leave your story in the "Why I Run" section. I think it will speak to others as well.

    http://www.runnerslounge.com/awards/index.cfm?id=5

    Amy

    www.runnerslounge.com
    blog.runnerslounge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a truly inspiring story. I'm speechless, and that's normally a tough thing to do.
    I think knowing that Casey is hand cranking a marathon makes your story even more inspiring, but even if he wasn't, running a marathon in your brother's honor is the most noble and honorable thing a sister could do.

    I didn't post a "Why I Run" this week, but as I work up to it, I'll have to add, "Because Casey (and so many others) can't" to my list of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! We are sole sisters. I too run for someone who can't. My little boy has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. It really puts things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete